Friday, October 29, 2010

Amy Casey Paintings

I just discovered Amy Casey, I think her work is incredible.
This one is called "Development".



This art resonates with me, as I studied Development Studies at uni. This degree is not centred on town planning as people always assume, rather it focuses on perceptions of what constitutes 'development' contemporarily. In particular, I loved looking at ecological sustainability and complexity theory, resilience and panarchy. (For a really good introduction read this article by C. S. Holling). I've come away from this degree quite critical of how as Australians we seek to impose our way of life upon our neighbouring countries, as our lifestyle is inherently unsustainable in the longterm and has caused irreversible ecological damage in many areas.

In saying this, I am an active participant in this culture, for example, I buy too many shoes, I forget to check where an item has been imported from, and I honestly can't afford to buy organic produce as it is simply too expensive...  On the other hand, I am a vegetarian, and have been for over a decade, I love op-shopping and 'up-cycling' and keep everything 'just in case I need it...'

Anyway, here's a few more of Amy's pictures-Enjoy

Waiting Place

Encroaching Web

Escalating

Neighbourhood Web

Pull up the Slack

No comments:

Post a Comment